Monday 23 March 2015

St. Josephs, Kilcroney 1961 -1964





St Joseph's, Kilcroney.
Autumn 1963


I attended secondary school at St. Josephs, Kilcroney, Co. Wicklow, between January 1961 and June 1964. St. Josephs was a "Juniorate" run by the Brothers of St. John of God, with the purpose of educating young men who might join the Brotherhood.

Whatever about the purpose of the school, it was a good place to spend my Secondary school years.

Below I have listed the names (many incomplete) of some of the Brothers, Teachers, Staff and Boys of the school during my time there.

BROTHERS
Clement, Bro (Limerick) Circulated the schools to attract young men into the Juniorate. A regular Pied Piper. Did not live in Kilcroney.
Bernadine, Bro. Aspirant Master. Cultured, aloof and straight.
Bernard Farrell, Bro (Rathvilly, Co Carlow). Aspirant Master. Died 2005 USA. Likeable, and, considering his brief, did a good job as Juniorate Master.
Finbar, Bro. (Co Cork). Prior. Gentleman.
Martin, Bro. (Co. Louth). In charge of Nursing Home.
Thomas, O'Grady, Bro. (Co Wexford).
Kieran, Bro. Looked after the Farm.
Aristides, Bro. Elderly. Interest in photography.
Denis, Fr. Amiable.
Prosper, Fr. Small pleasant man.


TEACHERS
Hardiman, Mr. Patrick (Headmaster) English & Latin. He loved his subjects and was the best teacher in the school.
Henry, Mr. (Co Offaly) Irish, History and Geography.
Gleeson, Mr, Maths. 
Piano Teacher (Miss) (?)
John Grande, Bro., from Stillorgan, who took us for Plain Chant.
PT teacher and his assistant, who took us for PT once a week.

OTHER STAFF
Delahunty, Joe. Graduate of Obelisk Park. Farm Hand. Always smiling.
McDougal (?). Assistant to the cook. Glum.
The Cook. A pleasant lady. Baked a beautiful "square cake" dessert.
The lady in the laundry.

BOYS
The cup is for 1961 Cuala League

Pascal Coughlan
John (Luke) Lennon
Tony (Skulshur) Scallan (Captain)
Edward (Boucher) O'Byrne
Denis (Smiley) Harlow
Patrick (Wolf) Nicholson
Michael Sheedy
Patrick (Grick) McCaffrey
Patrick Trainor
Sean (Jake) McCarthy 
Brian (Kangor) McCormack
Thomas Clancy
Paul (Mother) Raleigh
Peter (Straw) Carmey
Leo (Yok) Coy
Francis Goodwin (Head Boy)
Joe McAndrew
John (Spud) Murphy

Diarmuid Walsh




Autumn 1963

OTHER BOYS

Keaney, Jarlath (the elder) (Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim).
Taggart, Henry (Ulster)
Rooney, Sean (Ulster). Musical. Left the Scholasticate due bad health.
Gavin, Joe (West).
Hannon (?) Quiet. Died in motor bike accident as a Bro.
Gallagher (West) ((a.k.a. Bro Finian OH)).
McInerney, (John?) (Co. Clare)
Keaney, (Martin) (the younger) (Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim) (a.k.a. Bro Killian OH)
Lynch, Ned (Cobh). Took a lot of stick for being tall, thin and gentle.
Costello, Anthony (?) (Dublin or Bray).
Cullen, Tony (Baltinglass). 
Doran, Billy (Wexford)  
McCafferty, Tony (Wexford)
McCrory, Paddy (Belfast) ((a.k.a. Bro Gregory OH)
Gillen, Charlie (Randalstown) (a.k.a. Bro Hugh OH)
McCabe, James (Ulster)
Sean Nolan (Tullyballygar, Co. Galway) 
John Finnegan
Roach, Francis (?) (Dublin) Entertaining.
Griffin (Carlow?)
Beggs, Vinny (Tyrone)
Kearney, Michael
Byrne, Patrick (Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow)
Mullins, Patrick (Ulster)
Clancy, Michael
Gallagher, Charlie (Leitrim or Donegal)
Keogh, Paudge (Wexford). May have drowned in an accident, many years ago.
Flannery (Castlebar, Co. Mayo)
McElhone, Anthony (?) (Ulster)
Dempsey, Patrick (originally from Co. Wexford), of Wood Road, Lisnagry, Co. Limerick who died on 20th March 2011.
Kirwan, (James?) (Drimnagh, Dublin).
Regan, (Ciaran?) (Easkey, Sligo)
Cassidy, (?) Longford. Always in trouble.
Another lad from Longford.
Quinn (Ulster)
Quinlivan, Michael (Limerick?).
Neary, Canice (Lusk, Co Dublin)
Goane (Limerick?) 
Mulholland (Ulster) redhead.
Clinch (Dublin)
Honan (Limerick)
Oates
Wallace
Ahearne

Probably Spring/Summer 1964




17 comments:

  1. Hi Tony
    My Dads name is Denis John Finnegan, known as John and he had ginger hair. He is in both of the latter two pictures. We came across your blog recently when searching for St Joseph's. It seems he was at this college the same time as you - 1961-1964. In his last year he was head prefect. I was just wondering whether you might remember he. As we don't know your surname we aren't sure which Tony you are.

    My dad was in Ireland last week and paid a visit to the college and says it hasn't changed at all.

    I hope this message finds you well and it would be nice to hear back from you.

    Kind regards.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Mandy,
      I had forgotten the name John Finnegan, but I am fairly certain John is the lad second from the left in the “Autumn 1963” photo, between (?) Cassidy and Frank Roche, and third from the right, back row, in the “Probably Spring/Summer 1964” photo, between Michael Clancy and Patrick Byrne. I'm the lanky lad at the back in both photos. He'll have to forgive me for forgetting his name, but my memory has always been hit and miss. I'll add his name to the list.
      If he has any photos of his time at Kilcroney, or comments, feel free to post them to the blog.

      Delete
  2. Mandy, I was a school colleague of your dad and think of him often. He will remember me- Vinny Beggs ( Pomeroy ) from Pomeroy, Co Tyrone
    Email. Vinnybeggs@yahoo.co.uk
    Tel 00447789208428
    Would love to hear from him
    Regards
    Vinny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vinny
      Again, my sincere apologies for not responding at the same time as your message but I hope you are happy and well.
      My dad was very happy to hear your name and yes, remembers you well.
      Are you still on the same number? Are you in England now?
      Mandy x

      Delete
  3. I too spent a while at Kilcroney 1956/1957 a time I loved two of the lads nicknamed me Bimbo eventually shortened to Just Bim.The two lads were Flanagan of Cork and O’Leary from Limerick two of the loveliest young men I would ever know. I Remember The Prior,Bro Bernard and Bro Stephan lovely men all. I regret even now at 74 years leaving them now I hope they made it through the noviate years.The operetta we enjoyed was the Pirates of Penzance.My very best wishes to all who knew me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Just discovered this. I am blown away. I was in the team that won the Wicklow Under 16(I think) hurling Championship. I remember that evening so well. When I was there,1961-1963, I knew John Finnegan. Bright red hair and his nickname was 'Redser'. Sean Mc Carthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jake
      What a nice surprise to receive this message today as I’d lost the link. Dad still has a good head of hair - not so red these days but he has a full beard to match! Dad loved his hurling and missed it when he left for England. I will tell him of your message. Sending good wishes.

      Delete
  5. Jake, I remember you well as part of the Wexford contingent, including Tony Scallan, Leo Coy, Dermot Walsh, Billy Doran, Patrick Dempsey, Paudge Keogh. It was a good place to go to school. We were well fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony. What is your surname. Do you remember Richard(Dickie) Hickey from Wexford also ?. He didnt do much sport.I wonder if you remember the football match we had where Leinster and Munster(hurling provinces) played Ulster Connaught(football provinces). They thought they only had to turn up...we trounced them and then they declined to play us at hurling. I did go on to play football for Wexford Minors at Croke Park ,June 1963 against Meath. They gave us a trouncing. I knew about 2 of team mates names. I emigrated to England September 1964. Been married for 52 years and have 2 Grandchildren, My grandson has just graduated at Ports Uni.
      I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years at St Josephs. A great place and great people.

      Delete
    2. McCafferty.
      Yes, I vaguely remember Richard Hickey. He was in a higher year. Smart looking (in the best sense).
      I was poor at sport. My coordination and stamina weren’t the best, and some b christened me “Bingo”, after a black comic character. I surprised everyone, including myself, when I came in first in the 440 in the sports day 1964. A once off!
      I emigrated to London in 1968, working as a clerk for a Marine Insurance Broker. I missed the auld sod and the sound of Irish voices, and came home in 1972. I still follow Charlton Athletic. I married a good women in 1982, and we presently have 2 grown-up children and 4 grandchildren. I was diagnosed with Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis 3 years ago. I would change very little.
      Vinney Beggs (Pomeroy), who appears to have a great interest in GAA has contacted me. He has been in touch with some of the lads from the north (incl. Paddy McCrory, Sean Nolan and James McCabe).

      Delete
    3. Hi Tony. Very sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you are coping with it and its not affecting your life too adversly.
      Was Vinny Beggs a smallish chap. I remember him as'Pommer' as he came from Pomeroy CO. tyrone. He was small. and a brilliant footballer. A great bloke, always happy.I remember Paddy Mc Crory from Belfast. Big chap, not into sport .

      Delete
  6. Hi Tony
    For some reason I’m not seeing my replies to you so thought I’d try again in this space. I do hope you are well and thank you for sharing this group.
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in Kilcroney from 1965 to 1970 would love to hear from any of the students of that period. Dan Duffy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I remember you, Dan. I landed in 1969. Bro Cormac ran the school, but by the time I arrived Bro Ciarain was appointed, temporarily.
    Coming from a socially deprived corpuration estate in Limerick, waking up to see the Sugarloaf Mountains was not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am writing this from Australia. The Order has had a dreadful legacy in terms of child abuse. We were lucky in that we had lay teachers. Mr Hardiman was old school, very straight. His son was Ireland's Attorney General. I have fond and respectful memories of all of our teachers and the miniscule class sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Billy, great to see your post. Anthony Finnegan from Carrickmacross was another in my class who also went to Australia. Would love to hear from him as well. Billy I live in Co Mayo would be great to hear more. My email is duffyd1953@gmail.com. if you want to get in touch. Dan.

    ReplyDelete